Site Meter

<>

Copyright 2009-2010 by
Mary Brotherton
All Rights Reserved


Inside my Brain


email me






Sunday, October 25, 2009


My phone woke me. My son called to tell me he'd put his fiancee in the hospital last night with a blood clot in her lung an his 3-year-old was sick with a fever.

I already was distressed that I could not visit my mother post-hospitalization, due to unreliable transportation, but I felt my son was calling out to me for help and I could do nothing. He is not one to call anyone for help, so this was especially painful for me.

I wanted to shut myself off from the world, but I couldn't completely. Curtis needed me to drive him to Grip Industries so he could pick up Miss Lumpy and drive her home. First, he needed to make a short detour and spend 5 or 6 hours at the garage working on her.

The closer I drove toward home and my cherished solitude, the more I knew I could not enter my home alone. I drove to Rotary Park and spent an hour or two roaming and photographing whatever struck my fancy. I met a family from Puerto Rico and shared my bench with them. It was under the shade of a set of palm trees and afforded me the space and time I needed to relax while the sounds of the gentle tide soothed my troubled mind. I looked out toward the Pineda Causeway and let the tide take my troubles out as it moved away with gentle lapping sounds.

When I came home, I did not feel alone and by the time I called my son, my grandson's fever had broken. His future wife is still in the hospital, but she seems to be doing okay.

Mother Nature is the best healer I know.