Site Meter

<>

Copyright 2009-2010 by
Mary Brotherton
All Rights Reserved


Inside my Brain


email me






Monday, November 23, 2009


11-21-09

I leave South Carolina today.

Sharon and Richard prepared an elaborate breakfast of French toast, ham and scrambled eggs before I left. Just like yesterday, my departure was bittersweet. Although I did not want to leave the grandchildren; I was ready to return to my Florida family and eager to see them again.

I crossed ancient bridges, rolling hills and when I neared I-95 in Colleton County, I saw a once familiar Saturday morning sight: deer hunters on the side of the back roads. My scenic route home led me past football stadiums, old country houses and cotton fields.

I’ve seen cotton fields before, but I’ve never seen a bale of cotton, nor have I seen cotton bolls just lying on the side of the road. Yes, I said bolls, not balls, because raw cotton, prior to processing, consists of bushes, stems and bolls.

I ran into a few roadblocks and detours – seemed to be the course for the week, but I still made great time getting home.

The best part about going on a trip, sometimes, is the return home.